[TRLog] CW Serial Interface

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:40:09 -0400

What OS are you using? If you are using Windows NT, 2000, or XP, it is
possible to lose control of the physical device to the OS and not be
able to use it. This is not uniformly true and some are able to use
it. The reason why some can and others can't eludes us and there has
been no posting of a reason why some can't and others can.

The odds improve greatly running TR under DOS, Win 95 or Win 98.
Problems have been reported running under Win 98 on the faster
motherboard/CPU combo's. Again here, no reason/solution ever reported.
Smells like some timing problem, but never nailed down.

Remember TR is a *DOS* program that wants to control the hardware
directly. (Personally, I suspect that if you are using a com port for
a serial mouse, you are going to have trouble with the other one, but
cannot prove anything.)

Boot up to dos using a Win 98 startup disk. Run TR from there. If your
trouble goes away and all of a sudden you can see your com ports, then
you are one of the unlucky ones who have trouble.

73

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sheryl Roux" <jsroux@msn.com>
To: <TRLog@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 6:29 AM
Subject: [TRLog] CW Serial Interface

If I choose COM1 to send CW to the radio, what should happen between
pins 4 and 5 of the DB9 COM1 connector when a CW message is sent?  In
my case nothing happens. The voltage between pins 4 & 5 is a
constant -11 vdc, and the current through a 1kOhm resistor across the
pins is a constant 7.8 mA.

The device manager seems to know that I have a COM1 installed. Are
there other pins on the COM1 connector that I can use for CW?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

73, Jim W4YA w4ya@arrl.net

multipart/alternative
  text/html