[TRLog] Problem with POST and TRMaster.dta

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:29:04 -0500

I downloaded K8CC's latest master.dta file, and it seemed to be accepted
just fine by POST once I converted it to ascii and back to database format.
 Then I went to add a tab-delimited list of calls and names, generated from
my general purpose logging program.

I set up the transfer correctly, I think, essentially telling the program
to look for the second data item and plug it into the name slot in the
database.  I also told it to overwrite the hit counter and name fields, and
hit start.

I immediately got an error message "Unable to dave .DTA to ASCII file."  I
then watched helplessly as the program processed my call and name data into
a TRMASTER.ASC file and then back into a TRMASTER.DTA file, overwriting the
previous one.  Now I have a TRMASTER.DTA with 3000 calls in it instead of
27,000.

Fortunately I have the original zipped file from K8CC, so I can replace the
TRMASTER.DTA file, but I'm stumped.  Why won't it write that file to ASCII
form before it starts to add the other file?  I thought maybe memory, but
POST reports 330K available.  I'm using 6.62.  any ideas?

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org