[Trlog] Sending Hex Strings to 1000MP/Mark 5

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Feb 26 17:36:30 EST 2003

I just made an interesting discovery (new to me, anyhow).  Even when in SSB
mode, with SBDVP in use, you can still use hex strings to control various
1000MP/Mk5 radio functions at the stroke of a function key.  All I did,
just for fun, was to start TR (6.72) with SBDVP loaded, do an Alt-P|C,
select F10, and backspace over the DVP filename.  Then I manually entered
the command string to clear the clarifier, and voila -- it works perfectly.

Not only that, it appears that if you embed the hex string *before* the
SBDVP filename, you can even insert a command like Clarifier Clear in the
same memory that also contains a voice message, such as a CQ.  Putting it
after the SBDVP filename doesn't work -- the hex string is executed but the
sound file is not found.  There does not appear to be any audible delay
before the sound file starts to play (on a 200 MHz Pentium).  I don't know
if this also works with a K1EA hardware DVP,  but maybe someone out there
will want to try it.

This looks to me like an exciting new capability.  Thanks to Joe, W5ASP and
Jim, VE7FO for doing the pioneering work on use of the hex control codes,
and to Ron for modifying TR to make it easier to enter them.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm