[Trlog] Mults and Cabrillo

Tree tree at kkn.net
Fri Jan 24 11:47:33 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:25:48AM -0800, Fred Jensen wrote:

> I was under the impression that, regardless of what was in the various
> files in TR-Log for computing multipliers, it didn't really matter for
> my score since all the Cabrillo file contains is a listing of the QSO's
> and the sponsor will calculate my mults and score.

True - for those contests that are using Cabrillo (not all do).

> Thus, I've totally ignored the .DOM files and I'm not sure I've ever
> actually looked at one.  Is this yet another example of "Fred not paying
> attention to details?"  (my wife can relate a number of other examples
> if you're interested).
>
> I know the .DOM file affects the mult map and "needed multipliers"
> display.  In S&P, I'll sometimes spend more time trying to work someone
> that the program says is a mult, but generally, I just try to work
> anyone who isn't a dupe ... strongest first. Am I missing something
> important?

Well - maybe.  The .DOM files do two things:

1. Identify multipliers.
2. "Filter" the domestic QTHs as shown in the log so they conform to
the expecte values for the contest.

For example, if you enter OREGON as my QTH in the NAQP, it will convert
that to OR all of the time.  If some multiplier breaks into two pieces
(let's use VY1 and VE8 as an example) - and you have the old .DOM file,
you might miss out on a multiplier - or worse yet, be flagged for an
incorrect exchange when the station is logged.

So - I would suggest keeping an eye on .DOM file changes - make sure
that the list you are using matches the current rules for the contest.

Ron and I try to keep them up to date - but with 80 contests out
there - we do not pretend to be the ultimate source for accuracy.

Tree