[Trlog] RE: TRLog with USB to Serial port adapter

Matthew George matt at qrq.com
Mon Jun 16 21:13:21 EDT 2003

TRLog runs fine in a DOS session in the Win9X/ME operating systems.  I
wish I had a dollar for each of the messages posted about running TRLog
in Windows 9X/ME. (the NT based OS's are another story... NT/W2K/XP, no
native real-mode execution, all 86 real-mode instruction set
emulation)... Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

If at the DOS prompt you can address the serial port in question via
it's address, you should be able to get TRLog to use the port using
SetComm.  Read my post about SetComm... The SetComm utility will
temporarily change the IO port addresses for the 4 standard serial ports
(or LPT ports with the latest changes I made).

For example: In a DOS session in Win98, you run SetComm and change the
default IO port for COM1 from 0x3f8 to 0x666...  when TRLog access COM1
it will look for the port at IO address 0x666. IF (this is a big IF...)
you have a PCI/ISA extended card installed that has COM ports at NON
standard IO address, that are accessible from a DOS prompt... (in the
above example 0x666) TRLog WILL talk to THAT serial port as COM1.  TRLog
thinks it's talking to COM1 still, whatever port is at 0x666 will be the
port that is accessed by TRLog.  Interrupts are a non issue because at
4800 baud (TRLog access COM ports at 4800 baud) interrupts are not used.

If I remember right, TRLog lets you set IO addresses for Serial Ports 5
and 6 too.  With this being the case, you could get TRLog to access 6
serial ports!  With ports 5 and 6, you use the TRLog cfg file setting to
set the IO ports for serial ports 5 and 6.

I have the standard on-board COM ports in my computer... COM1 (0x3f8)
and COM2 (0x2f8), plus an eight port PCI card that has ports that start
at 0xdc00 (COM5), 0xdc10 (COM6) etc... I can run SetComm before running
TRLog and change the port addresses for COM1 and COM2 to 0xdc00, 0xdc10
respectively... When TRLog is running and talking to what it thinks are
COM1 and COM2, it's really talking to the first two COM ports on my PCI
card. (COM5 and COM6)

So at the end of the day, if you have USB based serial ports AND you can
talk to them from a DOS prompt and they are addressed transparently just
like a regular serial port, you should be able to use SetComm to FAKE
TRLog out... It will think it's talking to COM1-4.  Have I tried this?
No... I have had perfect success with PCI Serial port cards however... I
don't own a USB based serial port card.

It's as simple as that...

mg NG7M