Fw: [Trlog] VHF - Rover log submission

Alan Kaul, W6RCL alan.kaul at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 18 11:57:37 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----

Subject: Re: [Trlog] VHF - Rover log submission

> > I've submitted a single Cabrillo file with varying grids, and the robot
> > has accepted it.  Looks like I'm in order.  Thanks!
>
> Great.  This certainly isn't one of TR's long suits.  Not sure it ever
will
> be unless I change the .DAT log format (something I have not done for 12
> years now).
>
> One idea I have had is to use the Cabrillo standard for the .DAT file.
This
> would simply mean that everything needed for the QSO: entries would be in
> the log - and you can switch sent information on the fly.  However, it
also
> means that things like QSO points aren't there, and that would cause other
> issues.  I doubt people are prepared to lose the score calculation during
> the contest.
>
> The problem is that most any idea I come up with has enough negative side
> effects that I end up doing nothing.
>
> Tree
-------

Since the printed log file already contains exchange data, etc., it seems to
me than one of the soft-ware wizards on this list (I'm not suggesting Tree
whose plate already is full) might be able to cobble up a little text
editing program which enables you to separately input the GRIDs you were a
rover in at specific times, so that the LOG could then be massaged and the
GRIDS changed PRIOR to running Cabrillo.

That way, scoring is maintained during the contest.  And the GRIDs for
rovers are accurate at the time of Cabrillo log submission.

---------
Alan Kaul, W6RCL, LaCanada, CA
w6rcl at amsat.org
http://home.att.net/~alan.kaul/index.html