[Trlog] WPX 03 notes:

KL7RA kl7ra at ptialaska.net
Mon Mar 31 19:48:31 EST 2003

Operated the WPX as Multi-Single with the contest station configured
mostly as M/M. No problems to report. Some nice features were
suggested for multi op contesting. Maybe someday after the so2r changes
and standard logging issues become stable these suggestions can be
reviewed.

1. The text message you can send to each position is lost when spots
are flowing about one every 5 seconds or faster. Maybe the spot text
could be disabled or better a different window for interstation comm.

2. The rate for the run station also includes the mult station's Q's. Seems
to me this was discussed here on the reflector but can't remember if it was
fixed. The idea that you can see the rate and freq of the run station at each
position seems a good one when making the band switch but I haven't been
able to exploit it fully. I didn't notice the option where qso point totals are
displayed vs rate, maybe this was the fix.

3. The bandmap is a powerful tool for M/S with internet spots. It would
be nice to have a bandmap indicator to represent the stations actually heard
and were entered by the spacebar.  Tnx K3PN.

4. The ten minute window doesn't work for multi/single using a network with
more then two band positions. We still have to use the old style pen/paper to
track the ten minutes after each band change. Maybe an alt (something) to
reset the clock would be useful.

5. The 40 meter ssb band splits from the packet spots don't last very long.
Many times the spotted station  has a new "receive" freq. This isn't a problem
for many radios that display both freqs but you have to use the T/F set switch
on a Kenwood 850 to see if the spot was okay. It would be nice to have the
"new" dual freq display that was built for so2r show the xmit freq when in
split mode. Better yet, fix the 40 meter awful ssb band plan around the world.

6. Using the Ctrl/Shift for PTT was useful during S/P but not for running
where you can't type while transmitting. Try typing BY1PK for example
with the ctrl/shift keys held down, then "try" to escape out of that mess. Now
try it at 4am where it makes you yell out Florida's "sunny beaches" because
you can't remember to wait before typing in the call for the tenth time in a row.

73 Rich KL7RA