[Trlog] Exchange Window

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Nov 3 22:23:33 EST 2003

We had a similar problem at W6UE. Initially, Mike KA6SAR
was trying to enter the entire exchange as a long string with
no spaces. The program seemed to think it was a callsign
and copy it to the call window (e.g. 1B76NTX). After a
few tense moments, I finally convinced Mike to put spaces in
the exchange and the problem went away.  We also had a
problem with the keyboard going wild (attempting
to type a callsign or exchange would result in a long string of
gibberish characters appearing in the callsign or exchange
windows). I think this was a computer hardware problem,
however. I grabbed the $8 Fry's keyboard from the telnet
computer and swapped it in for the IBM Aptiva keyboard
and it seemed to cure the problem. Perhaps it was RF
filling the keyboard buffer or something (although it seemed
to happen even when we weren't keying). In any case, the
first 15 minutes of the contest were a bit tense :).