[Trlog] More wish list -- manual

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 4 15:24:58 EST 2003

Hi Doc,

I run TR in a Windows DOS box, sometimes full screen and sometimes in a
window.
  PIII 500 MHz
  Win 98SE
  128 MB RAM
  Matrox G400 Dual Head video card
  Net access via cable modem (and router)
  AWE64 Creative Sound card

When I run TR I never bother to shut stuff down.  Typically, while
running TR, I'll see the following icons in the taskbar at the bottom of
the screen:
  Dimension 4 - keeps my computer clock slaved to WWV
  2 instances of Windows Explorer
  Daytimer
  Netscape (6.22 ugh) e-mail
  Netscape ditto browser - sometimes more than one instance
  Texturizer - a full featured text editor

In the System Tray I see:
  Task Scheduler
  Video card tools - so can change screen resolution, turn 2nd monitor
on or off etc
  Intellipoint mouse
  Antivirus scheduler
  Volume Controls
  PrintNow - a screen capture utility
  Zone Alarm Firewall
  Mail Call - a utility I use for checking my ISPs server for e-mail and
deleting spam before it gets downloaded to me

I have never had a problem with TR which I could trace to any of this
stuff .  I don't do SO2R.  I do use sbdvp in phone contests.

I have a 2nd monitor connected to the Matrox G400.  While running TR I
often have such things on the 2nd monitor as
  my complete log for the contest
  propagation info - in Oct 03 SS I was watching 1 minute updates to the
Solar X-Ray Flux graph as the 2 big flares came through.
  DX Summit if I'm trying to use spots.  (Don't have enought serial
ports to do it properly
  Haven't tried it but I could probably run Acrobat Reader there so I
have the manual on-line.  Acrobat reader 6 is such a pig, though, that I
would expect problems, (such as the window that pops up every couple of
minutes telling me it's trying to connect to the Net.  Forget - no way
you're calling home!)

To use the 2nd monitor I have to run TR in a window, not full-screen.
 Otherwise the 2nd monitor is blank.

To get the most useful window size I play with the screen font sizes
until I get something I like.  Currently it's set to 12x16 non-TrueType.

Hope this is of some use.

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO