[Trlog] TR Log Version 6.78 and Icom radio

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 17 13:07:27 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:17:17PM -0600, Tree Tyree N6TR wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 06:10:52PM -0000, Andy Cook, G4PIQ wrote:
> > Tree said

> > release of
> > frequency.
> > from what
> > having.
> >
> > Is this tongue in cheek?! If you're really going to implement this
> > feature, please make it switchable - I ALWAYS change band / mode on the
> > radio and not on the PC and need the software to follow.
>
> Sorry - I wasn't clear enough on this Monday morning.  It will not follow
> the radio unless the frequency/mode from the radio is in a valid amateur
> band.
>
> Essentially, it does this:
>
>     IF RadioBand <> NoBand THEN ActiveBand := RadioBand;

This would be very cool - I was occasionally having problems while tuning
a radio by hand with the BPFs and the Top Ten devices switching out for a
second or two (until the next frequency update from the radio came in, I
imagine.)  Occasionally, I would see either a down-arrow icon on the TR
Log screen, or a frequency on 30 meters.  Most often, I wouldn't see either
(actually, most often, I wasn't even looking at the computer screen.)

I would suggest making the logic a little more complex and checking for
the state of WARC BAND ENABLE or VHF ENABLE, and having the radio not
try to go to those bands, either, in an HF contest.

> So, if the frequency information from the radio adds up to a non-ham band,
> it won't change the band from what it was.  There is still some chance that
> you will get an erroneous reading that will land in a ham band, but that
> does not seem to be the failure mode most people are seeing.
>
> Tree

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops