[Trlog] Re: CW spots in SSB bandmap & vice versa

Mike Heideman mike_heideman at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 05:42:16 EDT 2003

I noticed and reported on this occurring with version 6.72 in
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TRLog/2003-04/msg00004.html

This is really a nuisance when using the NEXTBANDMAP key mapping in a single
mode contest because if you land on one of these spots you get stuck in the
wrong mode and can't jump to the spots for the correct mode.  I think it may
also have been necessary to manually return the rig to the correct mode.

Here are some other mode-related Bandmap quirks that I've observed:

Using an ICOM IC761 for spotting in a CW contest with the XCVR mode set to
USB.  All of the spots were offset in frequency by about 1 kHz.  The
operators all assumed that the stations had moved since none of the spots
were accurate.  An hour or two after I started spotting someone realized
they were all offset and let me know.  Switching the XCVR mode to CW fixed
this one.

We often see duplicate spots on 40 meters in phone DX contests which I
assume is mode-related.  It appears that spots from the network or packet
are assumed to be CW spots, while spots made on the local computer are
assumed to be SSB, even though they are covering the same frequency range.
This also makes it look like there are a bunch of unworked mults since the
wrong-mode spots show up with smiley-faces.  This might be related to BAND
MAP CUTOFF FREQUENCY, which we leave at the default value, but why would
local spots behave differently from network or packet spots?

73,
-Mike, N7MH