[Trlog] IC751/Piexx/TR - Golden now

Tony AI9X ai9x at arrl.net
Sat Sep 13 12:25:42 EDT 2003

All,
  Thanks for the help with this problem. Also, sorry if I sounded a bit
angry when I wrote the original post - it was late and after almost
three frustrating hours, I gave up for the night.

OK, here's the scoop:

Main problem was a COM port wiring mistake on the PC. Since I never used
them (and this was a free PC) I didn't have anyway to check them. Turns
out they were switched internally. OK now.

The PIEXX UX14PX board, for those that don't know, is a board that
installs inside the 751 and provides the UX14/CI-V functionality. A nice
product that provides both the 1/8" CI-V and a serial connection to the
PC. The serial speed is selectable at 9600/4800 where the CI-V is
9600/1200 (as some of you recommended I try). Both the TRLog's serial
port speed and the PIEXX need to be set at 4800 - and it works now.

Third issue was that once the interface worked, it would give "RADIO ONE
COMMUNICATION WARNING" errors when I sent it commands too quickly.
Upgrading to version 6.74 and setting LEGACY RADIO IO MODE = TRUE fixed
that.

Fourth issue was the Sound Blaster DVK was intermittent with all the
above. Upgrading to 6.74 fixed everything under DOS 622 and Win95. I was
having mixed results will all of this under 6.68, 6.70, 6.72 and 6.73.

This is my first run at using computer control, so a new world just
opened up. I also have plans to build an interface when my new ICE
antenna switches get here to further automate the station. Hopefully now
someone else who wants to go this route can find all the information
needed. I had a difficult time since the 751/751A is not supported by
TRLog anymore and didn't have much to go on.

Settings are like this:
RADIO ONE CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 1
RADIO ONE ADDRESS = 28  (the original 751 address BTW)
RADIO ONE TYPE = IC765
LEGACY RADIO IO MODE = TRUE

The RADIO statements have to be entered each contest, but the LEGACY
parameter is in the STDCFG.DAT file.

73's
Tony, AI9X