[Trlog] Texas QSO

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 24 23:28:29 EDT 2003

As Alan pointed out, in many contests there are just too many mults to
fit on the screen.  e.g. WPX and many of the state QSO Parties where the
mults are state counties.

Here are some things I do.
1.  If possible, shorten the name of the mult.
e.g. In a number of the state QSO Parties, the TR .dom file lists the
counties using the first 6 letters of the county name.  e.g. Lincol for
Lincoln.  If you consult the rules for a number of the state QSO Parties
you will find an approved list of county abbreviations.  Some use 3
letters, some use 4.  So a state with a Lincoln county but not many
counties would probably use Lin.  A state with a lot of counties would
probably use Linc.  So, find the list of approved abbreviations for the
state counties and modify the .dom file for that QSO Party so that it
uses the approved abbreviations.  Shorter mult names means you get more
of them on the screen.

As an example, if you look at Salmon.dom, the WaQP dom file, you will
see a line
Cowlitz  = COW, COWL, COWLIT, COWLITZ
Change it to
Cow =COW, COWL, COWLIT, COWLITZ
and TR will display the mult as Cow.

Sometimes the first 3 letters are the same for more than one county.
 Either use the first 4 letters for those cases or use, say, the first 2
and the last letter.  e.g.
Kitsap becomes Kip
Kittitas becomes Kis

2.  Tell TR to not display a mult once it has been worked rather than
dimming it.  The other mults further down the alphabet all move up one
place so, as you work them, mults which were not displayed now will be.
  I have found that if I can't get a clean county sweep I get some
satisfaction from having worked enough that the remaining ones are all
displayed.  Use CTRL-J or put into your config.dat the line
REMAINING MULT DISPLAY MODE = ERASE

Hope this helps.

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO