[Trlog] Scoring a Texas QSO Party mobile

john, ke5c ke5c at hot.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 14:17:18 EDT 2003

I operated mobile in six counties driving between the three fixed stations
where i guest operated for three to four hours each (k5tr, w5kft, ab5ty).  I
sent in four logs, three for the fixed operations (using the fixed calls)
and one - the interesting one - for ke5c/m.  The problem was, how to dupe
the mobile log where I can work other stations for QSO credit from each
county but I can't work them twice from any given county.  With 221 total
valid mobile cw contacts, doing a hand dupe and especially a multiplier
check would have been a lot of work (if done carefully - hi).

I think this works.  First I dupe checked each individual county - and yes,
there were dupes.  I follow k5tr's advice and just log them and move on.
Then I concatenated the county log files and did a multiplier check on the
aggregate "mobile" log.  Since you have to report multipliers by county,
state, and country, you still have to print the combined log and hand count
the county and state multipliers which trlog lumps together in the summary
sheet, but that is easy compared to doing it all by hand.

My xyl drove, and I used an old IBM ThinkPad 770E controlling a Yaesu FT-857
driving an SGC-500 into a Hi-Q 4/80 (four inch loading coil).  It was so
much fun, next year I may do the entire contest (CW) mobile.  In the four
months I have operated mobile, I have really come to appreciate man-made
noise.  In the clear country, my background is usually S0-1.  In cities near
electric signs, power lines, etc., it's often S5-9.  Out in the country
where you expect it to be quiet, some of those medium voltage transmission
lines which parallel the highways are real killers with S7-9 at times.

73, John
http://www.kkn.net/~ke5c/