[Trlog] Making incorrect bandmap entries causes problems

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Apr 28 21:08:48 EDT 2004

VA7IRL commented:

>VE7FO and I used TRLog for an M/S operation during FQP, and one of the
>activities we undertook was using one computer to tune the band looking
>for mults and then enter them into the bandmap, whereupon the main
>station would work them.
>
>For various reasons, the radio we were using for the spotting station
>was not interfaced to TRLog, so we ended up with situations where a CW
>frequency would be entered while in SSB mode and vice versa.
>
>This led to some (to us) strange behavior on the part of NEXTBANDMAP at
>the main station. The spot would appear in the bandmap for the mode for
>which it was entered. For example, a spot on 21045.0 would end up in
>the SSB bandmap if entered when the spotting computer was in SSB mode.

<snip>

Actually, if the spotting rig was interfaced to the computer, at times you
will find things from CW showing up in the SSB bandmap & vice versa.

It can also happen with spots received from the packet port.

I don't think I've seen any of this happen at VR2BG (current rigs: K2 &
IC706) since the introduction of FILTER RADIO MESSAGE LENGTH, but
that wouldn't explain why packet port spots are behaving themselves for
me now (not to mention that I rarely load the bandmap with anything
heard on the 706).

Tree apparently is totally reworking the radio interface code, so this all
might go away - otherwise it is something we should all have a close look
at when 6.80 is released.

73, VR2BrettGraham