[Trlog] Getting back on the air

Mark Bailey kd4d at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 07:27:39 EST 2004

Hi Mike:

No, TRLog runs under DOS.  What I did was add a DOS partition to my
hard drive using Partition Magic and installed DOS 6.22.  I used that
computer this weekend in the CQ 160.  This is on a one year old Dell
with only one serial port and no ISA slots.  It runs DOS just fine.

I'm using the "grub" boot controller that comes with Red Hat Linux.

I added a ByteRunner dual serial port PCI card.  They have a DOS driver
which allows you to "fake" the DOS IRQ and address.  It works fine with
TR, and gives me a total of three serial ports.

Two options for the voice keyer:  buy an old computer with an ISA slot
and use a DVP or use an external voice keyer (aka DVK).  I may get
one of the SCKII boxes (SO2R switching, DVK and CW Keyer)
later.  For now, I just purchased an older, used, DELL Pentium II with
an ISA slot.  I won't even bother to install Windows on it.

I'm eying the Windows programs, but they still don't send good
CW.  N1MM uses an external box on a serial port called a
WinKey to get over this problem.

I also don't see how any of them will increase my scores over TR,
so for the moment I'm going to stick with DOS.  My computers are set
up to triple boot Linux, Windows XP and DOS.

73,

Mark, KD4D