[Trlog] laptop setup

David Hachadorian K6LL at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 8 23:51:21 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Frey" <k4xu at bendcable.com>
To: "TR-log reflector" <trlog at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 8:24 PM
Subject: [Trlog] laptop setup

> I got a cheap used laptop to replace the Dell that
fried while I was mobile
> during the last Oregon QSO Party. It's a TI running
W98 SE with 32M RAM.
> In CWSS this weekend I noticed the occasional
"hanging" of the CQ messages
> giving an occasional long dash, never in the same
place twice. I assume the
> machine was trying to do two things at once and the
CW got second choice on
> resources. Other than that it ran flawlessly in SO2R
with a pair of Omni 6+,
> one not controlled.
> What is the current wisdom on optimum config and
autoexec loads?
> Dick Frey    k4xu

Hi Dick,

I'll guess that you were running TR under dos, rather
than in a Win 98 dos window. When you do it that way,
hard disk writing tasks take precedence over i/o
operations.

You can solve this by using a hard disk write memory
cache. Before starting TR, at the dos prompt, type:
LH SMARTDRV C+

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ