[Trlog] take SO2R to the next level

mark at nevus.org mark at nevus.org
Sat Nov 20 10:44:49 EST 2004

(I'm not so sure this follows).  Then Tree said:

>Last I heard, Rich is using CT.

Well, "you can pry my TR out of my cold dead hands."  I don't know about
sending "standby" ("AS") so much as to be able to send something -
anything - on the main radio while the computer is in the middle of sending
on the 2nd radio.  I'd like to be able to program what gets sent, press a
command to send it when I choose, and I'd like the 2nd radio to resume where
it left off.

While we're at it, SO2R things that would help (me anyway):

I'd like to be able to do the same thing the other way around - so I can
send a "?" on the 2nd radio if I didn't quite get a call, even though I'm in
the middle of things on the main radio.  It doesn't take long to send "?" -
if you pressed the key at the right time, I don't think the station you're
working on the main radio would get messed up.  This could also be good in
the middle of a CQ.

Next, I like the imbedded ctrl-A which sends something on the inactive
radio, but I would like to be able to use a 2nd ctrl-A (or whatever) to go
back to sending on the active radio.  i.e. let's say after the QSO the guy
on the 2nd radio says "check?".  Of course, TR has already started your new
CQ on the main radio.  It would be nice to press a key that sends your check
on radio 2 and immediately resumes or starts over your CQ on radio 1.  At
present when I have to interrupt radio 1 to solve this problem, I have,
letssee, [2 commands - send w/paddle - 2 commands], to get back to CQing on
radio 1, if I choose to assume he got it.  If I choose to wait and see if he
got it, there's a big pause going on at my CQ frequency, and if he needs it
over again, its more paddle sending, then waiting, then he says QSL then 2
commands and I'm CQing again on my run frequency after a long pause.

With the feature I'm requesting, this could be accomplished with 1 command
(again if he didn't get it), with automatic CQs on my run frequency at all
times I'm not talking to the guy who missed my check, plus the active radio
remains the CQ radio throughout the fill.

Finally, when using the space bar to send my call on the 2nd radio, I'd
rather inject my call only after a complete letter is finished on the main
radio.  Getting cutoff in "mid-dit" is like advertising you're distracted,
while terminating full letters sounds more like a mistake than getting
cutoff in "mid-dit."  I believe this would not sound so much like
"ATTENTION, THIS FREQUENCY IS UP FOR GRABS FOR THE NEXT 6 OR 7 SECONDS.  ACT
NOW!"

Thanks for your consideration.

Mark, N5OT