[Trlog] Will Multi Mode Work in Windows?

kd4d at comcast.net kd4d at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 07:26:41 EDT 2004

Hello all:

I second the dual boot recommendation.  It is not necessary
to get a clean disk drive.  If you are already running Windows,
you can shrink the Windows partition using an open source
application called "qtparted", install the version of DOS from
Windows 98SE, and dual boot even on a laptop with Windows
XP.

The DOS version from Windows 98SE will run from a partition
located more than 2 GBytes from the beginning of a disk.
Also, you can currently shrink an NTFS partition (like Windows
XP uses) but you can't move it, so DOS 6.22 won't work for
this on a disk bigger than 2 GBytes.

The easiest way to run qtparted is to download the bootable
CD image from www.sysresccd.org, boot Linux, and enter
"run_qtparted" at the prompt.  You can install a dual-boot
loader program called "GAG" from the System Rescue CD
as well.

If there is much interest, I could write up detailed directions.
All of my computers, including my work laptop, triple-boot
Windows XP, DOS, and some variant of Linux...all but one
using a single disk drive.

73,

Mark, KD4D