[Trlog] Dual-Booting Windows XP and DOS

kd4d at comcast.net kd4d at comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 09:37:58 EDT 2004

Good morning, all:

I have figured out a procedure for taking a Windows XP computer,
even a laptop, and installing MS-DOS on it.  This allows a dual
boot (just pick whether you want Windows XP or DOS) and does
not damage the existing Windows XP installation.  This avoids all
of the problems of trying to run real DOS programs under Windows.
The same procedure will work under other versions of Windows, but
they are easier since they don't use NTFS disk partitions.

I'm writing up a detailed procedure now.  I need a few people to
volunteer to try this and give me detailed feedback on the procedure.
It's currently in a Word document that is a bit over a megabyte.

All of my computers, including this work laptop, dual boot Windows
XP and DOS.  The procedure is a bit tricky but not particularly
hard.  And, I've NEVER seen detailed instructions about how to
do it.  (Actually, I usually use the same procedure to add Linux
and triple boot!  :-))

If you can help me test the procedure, please let me know and
I'll send it to you.  Thanks very much.  I hope to get a solid
procedure down and then figure out how to publish it.

Thanks!

73,

Mark, KD4D