[Trlog] Successfully booted DOS from CD and ran TR from USB stick

kd4d at comcast.net kd4d at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 11:30:07 EST 2005

Good afternoon, all:

I have been successful creating a MS-DOS boot CD, containing a
minimal MS-DOS installation, and running TR entirely from a USB
memory stick.

I have not been able to test this in combat conditions yet, but
it is working.  Any volunteers?

I installed TR679 on the USB stick and fired up the CQWW.
CW sending seems to be working.  I put the all679.zip file
contents in d:\tr679.

The really neat thing about this is that I can download all of the
TR, cty.dat, and master.dta in Windows and write them to the
USB stick in Windows.  Then, reboot from the CD and go.

Basically, I booted the CD, with a minimal autoexec.bat and config.sys:

autoexec.bat
path=a:\;a:\dos71
smartdrv a+ c+

config.sys
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
DEVICE=emm386.exe noems
DOS=high,umb
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

LASTDRIVE=Z

The CD appears as a:.  My USB stick happened to be D:, but yours
would probably be c:.

I put the TR files in D:\TR679 and created a log directory
d:\logs\tr.  I put trmaster.dta and cty.dat in the d:\logs\tr
directory (the way I like to configure), and entered
path=d:\tr679;%path%.

Then,
D:
cd logs\tr
tr

and started TR.

Using this technique, I can run TR under pure DOS on any
computer that supports booting from CD AND has bios
recognition of a USB stick without affecting the computer AT
ALL, without repartitioning the disk, and without permanately
installing DOS.

If anyone wants the procedure for creating the bootable CD,
drop me an e-mail.  I am looking for volunteers to try this in a
real contest.

73,

Mark, KD4D