[Trlog] Installing DOS on a USB memory Stick

Mark Bailey kd4d at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 13:49:48 EDT 2005

Hello, Richard:

The attached discusses one technique that may work for installing
DOS on a USB stick.  This is very computer BIOS dependent and
will work on many newer computers.  It doesn't work on all of them.

There is an alternative technique if DOS doesn't recognize the
USB stick.  This would mean that a "DIR C:" or whatever
doesn't work when booting DOS, so you would be unable to
do the "SYS C:" (or D: or whatever letter is assigned).

If that is the case, I have had good luck with the HP
utilities for writing system files to USB sticks.  See,
for example,
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html

(SP27213 or SP27608)

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.
Any help in adding to this document would be appreciated.

You may find it easier to grab a boot disk called wbootess.exe
(from, for instance, http://www.shaneo.com/bootdisks/)
which contains the correct version of emm386.exe in addition
to the other files instead of the two recommended from
www.bootdisk.com.

73,

Mark, KD4D