[Trlog] config.sys and other issues

Steve London n2ic at arrl.net
Sun Feb 12 11:48:53 EST 2006

My venerable 25 MHz 486 was trashed by lightning, just before the
September Sprint, and I'm now using a 200 MHz Pentium (I always was a
state-of-the-art person !).

Despite having smartdrv enabled, I'm having a problem with disk drive
contention. The problem is most noticible in a Sprint S&P exchange - the
way TR works, the QSO gets logged to disk as soon as I hit the Enter
key, which also causes my exchange to be sent. However, the CW sending
is being delayed by the write to the disk. It's as if the smartdrv isn't
working.  Here's the config.sys:

FILES = 30
STACKS = 18,512
DEVICE = C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE = C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DEVICEHIGH = C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE C+

The SMARTDRV does show up under mem/classify .

Yes, it's an old 5 Gb disk drive in the Pentium, but could it really be
slower than the 300 Mb drive in my old 486 ?

Suggestions ?

73,
Steve, N2IC