[Trlog] config.sys and other issues

John (KE5C) ke5c at hot.rr.com
Sun Feb 12 16:00:37 EST 2006

Does this happen with every QSO, or just some?  There is an issue, and I don't
remember the full details, but it happens in certain configurations when you
boot to Windows, then open a DOS window to run TR.  If your Windows
configuration contains most (any?) version of Office or Outlook, when you boot,
by default, a "fast find indexer" is started and runs in the background.  This
builds file indices for Office and Outlook to use to quickly find files, but it
continues to run in the background when you are in a DOS window.  On slower
machines, especially, you will periodically notice a delay in TR doing actions -
and we noticed it most sending CW.  This did not happen with every QSO, however,
so if that is your issue, what I am talking about is not the problem.  Booting
just to DOS does not start this indexer.  I just figured out which file was the
indexer and deleted it, but there are more elegant ways to disable it.  More
info -

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&mode=s&cat=false&query=Find+Fast+Indexer&srch=sup&x=16&y=14

73, John

> Despite having smartdrv enabled, I'm having a problem with disk drive
contention. The problem is most noticible in a Sprint S&P exchange - the
way TR works, the QSO gets logged to disk as soon as I hit the Enter
key, which also causes my exchange to be sent. However, the CW sending
is being delayed by the write to the disk. It's as if the smartdrv isn't
working.  Here's the config.sys: