[Trlog] Partly corrupted logfile

Tree tree at kkn.net
Fri May 11 17:15:46 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:34:43PM +0200, Charles K?mpf wrote:

> After Helvetia Contest with HB9BSL I had a partly corrupted logfile.
> The first 389 QSO's were OK but after that 222 QSO's only chinese. It
> looks like...
>
> *80SSB 28-ALLLLLLLL??Ne????QeReSeTeUe??....
>
> **.......vvvv????vv2007 Helvetia Contest HB9BSL
>  Band    Date    Time  QSO#  Call worked   Sent Rcvd Rcvd   Qth
> Mults   Pts
>  ----    ----    ----  ----  -----------   ---- ---- ----  -----
> -----   ---
>  40SSB 29-Apr-07 12:08  651  PD0LDC         59   59
> 14                    1
>

> *After QSO 651 all was OK but in the mean time I lost 222 QSO's!
>
> What did I wrong?
> What can I do?
> Can somebody help?

There isn't enough information to really know what, if anything was done
wrong.  It would appear that you had some kind of disk write error (or a
disk read error and then the bad data was written to the drive).  This
does happen - rarely - and isn't necessarily anything that TR had anything
to do with.

You might find snippets of the real log in random disk sectors.  This takes
a lot of time and if you have a very large drive - the tools might not be
up to doing this.

Also - it is possible some information is in the restart file (*.RST).
You can use POST to dump out the data in this file and see if it helps.
You might find the calls that you worked at least.

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net