[Trlog] Problem with "slowness" in the CQ160 Contest

Jim George n3bb at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 5 23:03:41 EST 2009

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Most suggested I run SMARTDRV. Believe
it or not, I was using DOS 5.0, which does not support either DEFRAG or
SMARTDRV. My friend and wizard in a number of areas here, Jim, W5JAW,
helped me find a nice new OEM version of DOS 6.22 and then installed it
with me looking over his shoulder. The DEFRAG helped a little, however the
SMARTDRV really did the job. It seems to me (unscientific) that when I
moved from my standby TR 6.78 to TR 6.93, the program ran slower on my
albatross PC. In any event, going to SMARTDRV did the trick and now my 66
MHz IBM PC is running TR like a champ again. It had gotten so slow that it
was taking 4 to 5 seconds to "process" a QSO and complete the logging.
Obviously that was not going to work.

Thanks to several of you who suggested the SMARTDRV and to W5JAW who helped
me switch over.

Jim N3BB