[Trlog] TR Baud Rate-Update

Kevin Schmidt w9cf at arrl.net
Wed May 22 22:01:18 EDT 2013

Mike,

I have 2 possible suggestions. Neither very good.

1. If you have a spare computer with 2 serial ports or 2 USB to serial
port adapters, you could set it up as a baudrate converter. A linux
box with ports /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 could use a script with the
lines like:

stty -F /dev/ttyS0 4800
stty -F /dev/ttyS1 9600
cat < /dev/ttyS0 > /dev/ttyS1 &
cat < /dev/ttyS1 > /dev/ttyS0

to link the two com ports together.

I don't know how this is done in Windows, but there must be an equally
simple way there. There are also baudrate converter boxes that you can buy.

2. I believe the linux version of TR supports any baud rate as long as
the actual amount of data sent is not too large. That is, the TR routines
run at the same speed as in DOS TR, but the linux kernel handles all the
serial port i/o and buffers it. The actual amount of data that TR sends
and receives is very small. However, you almost certainly don't want to
try out alpha level software for the first time the day before a major
contest. I haven't been able to test this directly since I only have a K2
which is fixed at 4800 baud. I have done a test with a script like that
above communicating with the K2 at 4800 baud, but with TR communicating
to a pseudotty at 9600, 38400, 57600, and 115200 baud, and it works fine.

73 Kevin w9cf