[UK-CONTEST] GM7V in WPX SSB 2002

Keith Kerr pat058 at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 14:41:55 EDT 2002

I guess it it is no accident that it has taken a week for
me to get round to this. Freud had a theory, regarding
painful memories!
Ran up to the weekend with high hopes. 10m was in good
shape, even up to 2230z on Friday night, testing a few
things with DVK and so on, with USA stations still booming
in here and runnable. It was therefore a bit of a downer to
see the K at 4 and the auroral ovals all red and reading
9.0 at 0545z on Saturday. After the usual struggle with
backscatter, it was possible to work stations from about
0630z and in the first 30mins the likes of 9M6BG, YB0A and
BD5RI all on S&P suggested things were OK. Even heard a JA.
Started to run from about 0730z and things built up OK.
XX9TRR and some VK6's appeared and the first JA called at
0800. So did 3V8BB, who was very weak (?). By 0900 the JA's
were coming in quite well, in fits and starts, with even
some semblance of a pileup. HS, DU and 9V1 all suggested
propagation was still reasonable, especially when YJ0ABR
called. This continued 'til 1200z, by which time some nice
DX like H44MS and 9L1DX had called and I was happy with
563 Q's and 305 mults.....actually ahead of even my 2000
score and miles ahead of 2001. One thing I had
noticed.....only VO1MP had called from NA. Absolutely
no-one else.
It was 1330 before there was any reasonable North American
presence here but they continued in fits and starts but it
was clearly an East coast opening, mostly skewed path.
Anyone with a state lacking an Atlantic coastline was
struggling to be heard in these northern parts. And so it
continued. No real pileup, stations in fits and starts and
most stations weak. I have rarely had to work so hard for
so long to maintain a QSO rate which was respectable. I
just managed to maintain 100-150 per hour from 0800-2000z,
but it was like working EME with QRM! Finished the day with
some S&P until 2150 when the lights went out.
Sunday had to be better...hadnt it? Wrong! Couldn't make
myself heard until 0710 and that was a struggle. By 1000
there were occasional JA's about but really grim sums it
up. Rates about 30-50 per hour continued, but required a
real scrape for QSO's, until 1730. There was a slight
pickup in rate to NA for a couple of hours allowing 80 or
so per hour but ALL NA QSO's on Sunday were worked skew
path over the Caribbean/SA. There were some gems in
among...like C31, EL2 earlier on and KH7R who was peaking
on the yagi pointed at Argentina! And I had to have a wry
smile at the irony of the great signal from VP6TK who
called me at 1859z. Band went out to completely dead in the
space of 10 mins to leave me with white noise at
2005z.......and a rather disappointing 2254Q's and 888
Mults for 4,653,120 pts. Less, even than last year.

Highs....the few JA on Saturday am and some sprinkling of
nice DX. I still get a buzz being called by the rare stuff,
even though their relative score impact is less in this
event. Good to see lots of calls from the UK.

Lows....the rest of the contest! Being called SIX times by
J69EN. UA6LV's signal.

Only one frequency fight. Hardly surprising since everyone
was so weak, but when NI2W appeared about 800Hz below me he
was loud enough to disturb my ability to copy my callers
who were, universally, 0.5dB above the noise floor. I asked
if he could move a bit 'cos he was giving me some grief and
I received a lecture entitled 'This is why they call it a
contest'. I must have missed that bit in the rules!

Not a weekend for us northeners. Makes me smile to see some
stations proclaim 'Great conditions' on 3830. All relative
and down to perspective, I suppose. Time to move to Aruba!

73
Keith GM4YXI (GM7V in WPX SSB)