[UK-CONTEST] GW3NJW Eu Sprint

Andy Morgan andymorgan.email at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 21 06:52:05 EDT 2002

Dave,

Reference the discussion on the EU sprint contest myself (M5ZAP) and my 15
year old son (M0TTT) are relatively new to contesting  and have taken part
in both the EU sprints so far this year (myself ssb and Robert CW).

We both enjoyed the contests and yes the rules are not obvious, but as with
any contest checking on the rules beforehand is necessary. Amateur radio
contesting would be a little boring if all the contests had the same rules
and format.

We like the 4 hour format and I find the contest certainly tests your
operating skills. This years ssb contest was my first SSB sprint (124 qso's)
and I certainly found it a challenge and hopefully I will be better prepared
for the autumn sprint. My son competed in his first SSB sprint in Autumn
2001 (thanks for the certificate for 1st England). This year Robert will
compete in the CW sprints (136 QSO's yesterday and a shame conditions were a
little poor).

To conclude myself and my son both enjoy the contests and find the format a
refreshing change, It amazed me how much more difficult it was than
operating in a conventional contest. Robert enjoys the hectic activity and
certainly adapted to it better than myself.

Thanks for organising the contest and hope to catch everybody in it in the
autumn and how about a RTTY version ;-)

Andy Morgan M5ZAP
Robert Morgan M0TTT