[UK-CONTEST] Vanity Calls

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 20:17:20 EDT 2002

Well wouldn't that be a good idea? If one includes all
the callsign blocks available to the UK, some of which
have never been used even for overseas territories,
there are sufficient available for ALL Class A
licensees to have a 1x2 or 2x1 call. I personally can
see no reason in the world why they should not be made
available to those who want them, and I would guess
that would mean less than 25% of those eligible.

In Canada, calls are available for re-issue after 2
years. Unfortunately, we have just started a lifetime
licence scheme, so Industry Canada has no idea if a
call is inactive or even if the holder has died. Also
under the new rules anyone who has held any class of
licence for 5 years can apply for a 2 letter call.
Even in Ontario there are still some VA3## calls
available and in other provinces one can take ones
pick.

Just to further rub salt in the wound, vehicle amateur
call licence plates here cost about £12.

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP