[UK-CONTEST] M0BEW - WAECW 2002

Cooper Stewart coopers at odl.co.uk
Wed Aug 14 06:06:49 EDT 2002

I would agree that the simulators (PED, RUFZ, etc) are one of the best ways
to increase CW ability, and (more importantly in my opinion) keyboard
skills. I remember in an article by OH2BH a few years ago ("Contesting at
the start of a New Millenium" in CQ, I think) he highlighted one of the most
important skills a proficient contester should have is computer keyboard
'usage' skills.
I know, from experience at my work, that touch typing skills can be learnt,
even by those who have used two fingers for years.
I have also noticed that when I did multi-multi WPX last year with the local
club at my place, the biggest problem the guys had wasn't operating the
sometimes unfamiliar radios, it was actually using a keyboard. I have even
seen two operators on one radio at NFD simply because one could send CW and
the other could type!
It's a plain fact, that it doesn't matter how good your knowledge of
propagation or CW skills are, if you can't type, you can't effectively log
the QSOs. Added to this, I believe that familiarity with all the keyboard
shorcuts in a logging program saves a hugh amount of brain power. Especially
at 0300z.
(Just wish I could proctice what I preach!)

Stewart
GM4AFF

Quote Trey HC8N:
o Know the code.  50 WPM conversational is a nice milestone --