[UK-CONTEST] NFD archives?

Derek Thom Derek at g3nks.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 31 10:01:07 EST 2002

Clive Whelan <gw3njw at onetel.net.uk> wrote:
> Derek Thom wrote:
>> The winner of the NFD Trophy in 1963 was the Port Talbot group/club.
>>

>Thanks to Derek and others for this, uk-contest is a good source of
>info.!
>
>Could have sworn it was '63 that we won at Cardiff, but I'm told it
>was probably 1965. I must be getting old!
>
>Methinks Derek and his crew would also have been major competitors
>back in those days.

Cardiff did win in 1965.

In the 60s I operated for the Reigate club, G3REI - not the best
callsign on CW!  We also used G3FM and my own call.  Most clubs ran two
stations, A and B, in those days - each operating on 3 bands.   If each
stationed made 100 QSOs by midnight and 300 by the end of the FD, that
was reckoned to be good going.  Over 100 club/groups took part.  How
times have changed!

I moved to Cheltenham in 1977.  The Great Western Contest Group (G3MZV,
G4BEZ, G3NKS) made its mark in the early 80s - winning the Bristol
trophy three years in succession.

These days the Cheltenham club cannot raise sufficient enthusiasm for
NFD - a great shame.  No up and coming youngsters (anyone under 60 in my
view!) to take the lead and do the night shift!  Also shortage of SWLs
to make the tea!

Happy New year to all,

Derek
--