[UK-CONTEST] IOTA - to run or not to run....

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Tue Jul 30 06:12:13 EDT 2002

An interesting discussion, but I think Clive has identified
the key point. You have to run some of the time, in order
to work multipliers that are in S+P mode. Even the small
DXpedition operation should be able to find times when
it can CQ, but as in all contests it's necessary to adjust your
overall operating plan according to the scoring system and
your station's capability.

The scoring structure increases the emphasis on finding
multipliers, and this sets IOTA apart from many other
contests. Unless you have SO2R capability, you will have
to break your runs each hour and dedicate time to
multiplier hunting. Don't assume that SO2R makes things
easy, however. Near the end of the contest I was keen to
get to the magic mark of 200 mults, and spent about 30
minutes searching on the second radio while CQing,
without much luck. For the last 15 minutes I switched to
pure S+P mode and managed to get the last three mults,
on the same band I had unsuccessfully searched while CQing.

Of course if you like to use packet cluster, then concentrating
on mults turns it pretty much into a 'shooting fish in a barrel'
contest for the big boys, while making it harder for the little
pistol to get through the packet pileup.

Packet cluster can also take a large share of the blame
for the thoughtless operators who fail to give their callsigns
for minutes on end. I find myself hoping that the callsign on
packet will be busted, though unfortunately in this situation
it would only be the calling station who would be penalised.

Dave G4BUO