[UK-CONTEST] Jubilee from 9M6A

Peter Bowyer peter at unica.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 08:16:01 EDT 2002

Hmm... lots to think about.

1. It was *great* fun. Helps when you're a unique mult I guess. Propagation
was so-so for most of the time; very noisy here on 20m. Hope that's not a
trend. Not much doing on 10m until early Sunday. Could have spent more time
on 40 but its nasty here.

2. I found plenty of support from the JAs and the Ws - W is easier to run
from here than Europe. Loads of 001 in the log from slightly surprised W6
and W7 stations - but they were happy to give it a go. Again, perhaps the
slightly rare counntry helps - but its getting less rare the more we do from
here....

3. I enjoyed the mixed- mode operation. Having spent 36 hours on CW 2
weekends ago (I was away for NFD.....), it was time for some SSB. But plenty
of Qs and mults on CW which wouldn't have happened if I hadn't gone there. A
nice mix.

4. I agree with previous comments that the single mult for the UK is too
restrictive. Since that's where the majority of interested parties are, it
would make sense to make them a bit more attractive for the rest of the
world by spreading the mults out amongst them. Maybe prefix, or number, or
something. I would certainly have been much more interested in Europe in
general if there were more than the 3 mults there - and many will have
missed out on my mult as a result. These things need to be reciprocal.

5. Those GQ prefixes are all very well, but they neatly defeat Super Check
Partial :-(

6. Someone needs to 'sell' this contest to the VKs and ZLs. A shocking lack
of those mults in the log even at this range, and most of the ones that were
on gave 001. VK9C was nice, though.

7. My emailed beer for any 2E and M3 in the log goes jointly to M3ADS and
M3EZE. And of course the M5 award to M5ZAP, but they don't count any
more.... and from what I could hear, M5ZAP/M0CCC don't need my award......

8. Very good to work lots of Gs in a contest from here for a change. Lots of
familiar voices and callsigns. Thanks to all who dropped in.

My summary:

9M6A - Single-op Unassisted, Mixed-mode. Op: G4MJS.
Approx 20 hours

80m: Nothing
40m: 38 Q x 5 Mults
20m: 332 Q x 17 Mults
15m: 608 Q x 21 Mults
10m: 55 Q x 10 Mults

Total: 1033 Q x 53 Mults x 5 = 273,745
(580 SSB, 453 CW)

Calculated manually becuase SDJ's summary sheet is broken.

73 Peter G4MJS @ 9M6A