[UK-CONTEST] G numbers

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 9 06:25:25 EST 2002

Lee, I can understand your point but I do think there is a culture
difference in the UK and that it is because many of us have been
brought up to think RSGB contests first and other events second.

Most of the other European societies run just one major contest
where the World works that country, eg UBA, REF, HA etc.
There may be another domestic event, but by and large, most
contest participants in those countries will gain their experience in
other events such as RSGB 7/21/28, SAC CQWW, ARRL, but
most importantly will be quite happy to prepare and submit their
entries to those overseas societies.

I am sure you will have seen the comment on YU7SF's check log,
something like "This is my contest entry number 1200."  Here is
somebody who routinely enters overseas events AND sends in an
entry. This is where I think the difference lies.

> Surely from the numbers below it indicates that UK contesters (and
>the more casual ops who would not claim to be contesters) actually
>*did* find time to get on in the contest, and make at least a few Q's.

I wouldn't disagree with this statement, but the point I made before was
that many of these guys don't see it as a serious entry and don't wish to
undertake any further work on the log after making those contacts.