[UK-CONTEST] SCC violations

Chris Tran GM3WOJ gm3woj at talk21.com
Sun Mar 10 12:45:37 EST 2002

Hello Clive et al

It's disappointing to hear your story about the mis-use
of Special Contest Callsigns, especially so soon after
Alan G3VAO's story.  We were one of the groups asking
for an SCC as long ago as 1990-91, and were very pleased
when they were first issued in 1996.

I confess to one 'out-of-band' mistake on 40m in ARRL SSB
when operating GM7V - I called a U.S. station for a few seconds
on his own frequency, until someone very politely pointed
out my error - this is easily done when you're tired and have
just arrived on 40m, but I should have checked more carefully.

The incidents described by Alan and Clive are rather different
- similar to the deliberate QRM on 80m from G9Q during
CQ WW SSB last October, when I was signing GZ7V - the G9Q
operator knew exactly what he was doing, but why was a
mystery. One phrase I've never liked is 'no names, no pack-drill'
- why not inform the HFCC of the SCC involved and let them
ask the holder of the NoV for an explanation ?   Otherwise, all
SCCs are under a cloud of suspicion.

That is where the responsibility clearly lies, as Chris G3SJJ
pointed out - the NoV holder is responsible for everything that
happens with an SCC - this may be difficult to monitor if it's
being used at a 6-band Multi-Multi event, but in the ARRL SSB
and BERU cases mentioned it should be easy enough to
identify the actual operator of the SCC. The operator described
by Alan was obviously someone who knew nothing about
contesting !

One funny incident - one of our GM7V operators in CQ WW
in 1999, not realising who he was 'sharing' a frequency with,
told our GM7V QSL manager to QSY rather forcibly - I had to
do a lot of talking afterwards to sort that one out !

BERU seemed to go well - only managed about 25 QSOs
but conditions seemed good ?

73
Chris     GM3WOJ