[UK-CONTEST] GW7X-WPX -SB40 HP

Clive Whelan clive at gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk
Mon May 27 08:49:16 EDT 2002

Yo dudes ( streetwise talk, Ed)

Remind me never to do SB40 ever again, it's one tough row, and
three shots in 12 months ( WPX2001, ARRL DX 2002, WPX2002) is
enough to test anyone's sanity!

Last year's effort with a single Butternut produced only about
100 less QSOs and 250K less points, so on the face of it, the
pair of phased Butternuts has not done very well this year.
Excuses, well the operator is a year older, and that does not
help for sure. Staying awake is a young man's game, and if I
seemed to be slow to respond to your call, or even CQ'ed in your
face, it was probably because I had fallen asleep with my finger
poised above the F1 key, and was only woken by the call!
Amazingly on most of these occasions, I found that I could
remember the callsign; suppose there may be some subliminal
process at work here?

The bad news for me is that mega-gun UA2FB seems to have dropped
down from 80 to 40m this year, and there is simply no way to
compete with a station of that ilk. He was consistently S9 or
more, even at local noon, when absorption peaks. His big-gun
peers in HA, OK, S5 etc, were by comparison, not even moving the
meter. Oh for a tower at this QTH. Pretty place to live, shame
about the conservation area status. Oh well, at least I get to
smell the flowers when the rate drops!

The slightly better news is that S54A ( LP) who finished 1 place
behind GW7X last year has dropped 30% on score, and has barely
broken the 1M point mark. Perhaps he wasn't trying so hard, or
maybe the residual effect of the recent coronal mass ejections (
posh name for a flare, Ed), were still exerting some influence;
let's hope it's chips!

Highlights, erm not many actually, but if pressed being called
by KH2, and the various VK/ZL boys on the Short Path through the
teeth of the Eu QRM.

Lowlights, absoludimenda nada from JA, and missing the GW0
mult., although I heard and worked my first MW3 on any mode. The
the bloke was a very respectable operator actually; maybe
there's hope for them after all! Yet again nothing from GI.

73

Clive

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: GW7X