[UK-CONTEST] Logging software - SUMMARY

David L Sharred G3NKC at thersgb.net
Tue Nov 12 14:35:51 EST 2002

BlankMany thanks to
G5LP, G3LZQ, G4BWP, G3VAO, 9H4JB, GM0GAV, GM4AFF, G4MJS, G3RIR, GM0RLZ,
G3VQO, M0BEW, G4AXX, NN2C, G4DRS, 5B4AGN, G3ZBE, G3XSV, G4TSH  for
responding

Here's the summary of what was recommended::

DX4WIN  - 7 votes  ($89)
I selected this in the end - maybe influenced by the numbers who recommended
it, but not before I had a good look at the demo program.

It met all my requirements, and has been proven on WINNT and 95 by me. I
still have to put it on XP; but even if I have to use compatibility mode, I
am confident it will work!  One area that some of the programs fell down on
was award tracking. This fully complies with my needs (including ARRL
approved status)

Had small concern - Import from LogPlus - logplus uses MHz, DX4WIN uses KHz.
Many records therefore default to 20m (14000 in my case!!).  I converted to
ADIf first, which sorted out my problems (more at the end)

DXBase - 3 votes    $99
Can't remember which area this put me off !  But not pursued

Logger - 3 votes    FREEWARE
This is extremely good, and visually was the best !  However, it doesn't
allow award tracking status for Approved!  Big pity, since it is FREE !

VQlog - 1 vote   $15
Came with some more reccommendations from Friends (VHF types !!) Download
was too big, and the spec never complied with my requirements

Logic 6 -  1vote

Turbolog - 1 vote

Win-EQF - 1 vote   $60
(No IOTA support)

Stationmaster - 1 vote

XMlog - 1 vote FREEWARE

ANother point -  conversions of logs - I asked for help on ADIF convertors,
and were givem two.  However, someone then suggested BV6  (DF3CB).  I had
this all the time, since I use it to pront QSL's !!!  This works extrement
well for format conversions !!

73

Dave

multipart/related