[UK-CONTEST] Split Frequency in Contests?

Peter Bowyer peter at unica.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 03:41:05 EST 2002

> Jim Martin wrote
>
> > I think for the first time last weekend I heard contest stations working
> > split. ..... Is this to do with the calibre of the operator or a ploy to
> spread out the
> > callers and have an operator work the stations and another 'tee' up the
> next
> > QSO?

To enable them to work more stations more quickly - which is everyone's
interest, surely? I came across 2 stations working split over the weekend,
andinboth cases I was able to work them easily and quickly. If that's what
it takes, I'd rather they occuiped 2 or 3 kHz with their pileup than spent
30 seconds dragging out a couple of letters from every pileup and another 30
seconds convincing everyone else to shut up while they work the station they
think they heard...

Peter G4MJS (op M2A)