[UK-CONTEST] Bird Defence

G3RIR g3rir at thersgb.net
Sat Nov 30 11:49:11 EST 2002

My observations are similar to Ian's. The effect of the plastic owl lasted a
short while only although I have yet to try the variety suggested from G3LZQ
from a gun shop. Early next week I shall try to buy one.

I have tried the fishing line which stops the starlings but at present I
have only used the line on the boom of the vhf/uhf antennas but on the
elements as well on the HF yagi. I have found that I need two lines with one
about about 35mm from the boom and another a further 35mm up. This is
necessary as the local pigeons can land on and squash the lower line down on
to the boom. The higher one on its own is too high to stop the starlings. I
use large cable ties with the ends sticking up in the air to support the
line. Holes having been drilled in the cable ties. Yes it is a lot of work
and I have still to work on the vhf/uhf elements which the pigeons wont use
but the starlings love. My beams are above the patio and the s**t comes all
year but the effect is worst in the elderberry/blackberry season.

Neil, G3RIR