[UK-CONTEST] Contest rules - comment from W8JI

G3SVL chris at manyoaks.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 06:50:24 EDT 2002

Hi all,

This was posted on the topband reflector, following heated discussions on
CQWW 160m rules. Interesting view - especially the last paragraph.

73 de Chris G3SVL
 From the topband reflector by W8JI:

Time for a reality check on contests everyone!! No matter what we do, rules
will never be "fair".
<snip>
I don't think you'll find any radio contest that can ever be won from
anywhere, with everyone having an equal chance. I also don't think it is
possible to write rules that will ever allow everyone to have an equal
chance, unless the contest limits entries to one geographical area.

All that aside, why worry about being numero uno? I think nearly everyone
in the whole world respects anyone who does exceptionally well for their area.

I suggested to the ARRL that they quit giving page after page of puffery to
winners, and start highlighting people with modest stations from difficult
spots that do well. The magazines put far too much importance on who is
number one, rather than encouraging people to just have fun.

Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

multipart/alternative
  text/html