[UK-CONTEST] G4PIQ/P Reports for 21/28 SSB etc.

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Mon Oct 7 18:10:38 EDT 2002

FWIW, I agree with the majority of Andy's posting.

I have in recent years spent a substantial amount of time working with
groups and individuals who are very new to contesting, are learning the
basics, and running very basic station equipment (often not very suited
to contesting).  There are pro's and cons for getting such participants
involved in each of the various events.

WAE is more of a challenge from the exchange viewpoint, CQWW is harder
from the busy band / strong sig / poor receiver & non directional
antenna aspect as well as the "christ that bloke sounds
quick/professional etc. I'd better not get in his way" effect.  The
smaller domestic ones (21/28, Top Band events, AFS, etc.) also present
their own challenges for the beginner.  But each of these also has
advantages for the newcomer to try too.

But beware - one thing I have learned by observation is that it is
unhelpful to class all beginners in the one category when thinking about
the pro's and cons of any one potentially suitable event.   It is very
helpful to have a whole range of different events and event types
available.

Jonathan G0DVJ.
Op: G4IRC, M1CRO, M4U, G0RGH, G4MRS, G0KPW, SQ6W et al.