[UK-CONTEST] 'Weird' happenings: Spamcop

Mike Farmer G3VAO at hortonbrook.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 07:45:42 EDT 2002

Hmmmm

Many thanks Tim I think I understand

73 de Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: <tim.kirby at btinternet.com>
To: <uk-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 9:45 AM
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] 'Weird' happenings: Spamcop

> G3VAO asked
> > Is there a problem with uk.contest or have I got crossed fingers
(again)?

> No to both! All the contesting.com reflectors use a product called Spamcop
to reduce the amount of unsolicited mail that gets sent to the reflectors.
This works on a 'blacklist' of mailservers which have been seen forwarding
unsolicited mail.

> Some months ago, the BT mailservers got blacklisted for a few days. Now,
the Freeserve ones have. Anyone trying to post from a Freeserve account may
have problems from time to time (not all the servers may be blacklisted)

> The Spamcop blacklist is dynamic and it's probable that the affected
servers will drop off the list as the ISP takes measures to stop the abuse
on their servers - so hopefully you'll be able to post as normal shortly.

> As for the weird mails that others have been receiving - this is almost
certainly down to the Bugbear virus which is taking the world by storm at
the moment.