[UK-CONTEST] Paper Logs/Time to Stop!

Donald Field g3xtt at lineone.net
Mon Sep 9 11:50:16 EDT 2002

Ian, Nigel at el

> >It's a nonense that adjudicators should have to type in logs for those
> >too bone idle to provide logs in a suitable format. OK if we lose a few
> >entries, so what.
> >
> Because the entries you lose will be overwhelmingly from beginners.

Funnily enough, that's not my experience with IOTA. Most beginners (the
younger ones) use PCs. Paper logs are overwhelmingly from three categories -
old timers (many are early G3's, hi!); JAs (guess they don't get on with
Western PCs!); and UAs (maybe they can't afford PCs). So while I generally
agree with Nigel on most things, his implication that those who use paper
are simply "bone idle" is one I would have to take issue with.

> >Come on RSGB HFCC - take a stand on this - make it part of the general
> >rules for 2003 - "only electronic logs are acceptable".
> >
> Last year I proposed a middle way: that paper logs should still be
> listed in the main table, but should not be given a numbered place
> because the scores cannot be checked as thoroughly as electronic logs
> now can.

Not true, certainly for IOTA. All logs (incuding paper check logs!) are
entered to PC, and fully cross-checked. Every log plays a part in the
adjudication process. Paper entrants lose out in one respect, of course -
the volunteers who type them in are only human (it's a bugger, isn't it!)
and make the occasional error. This is inevitable.

The point that G4FON made about formats is also important. Many electronic
entrants use Russian, Japanese and other odd logging programs, with
strangely formatted outputs. These can be VERY time-consuming to convert
(I'd rather have Word or Excel and day!). But contest organisers cannot
really insist on entrants using particular proprietary programs.

With IOTA, we are taking this approach:

- Encourage electronic logging (e-logs up from about 80% a year ago to 90%
this year, as a result of publicity, sending out copies of SDI, etc.).
- Migrate towards a standard that is non-proprietary: we are working with
N5KO to extend the Cabrillo format for IOTA, and then with software authors
to support it.

Hopefully the HFCC will then follow suit with other RSGB contests.

But these things take time. For example, we introduced a dedicated e-mail
address for IOTA logs this year, notified all last year's entrants, and also
publicised it widely on the reflectors, etc. Probably 70% of e-mail logs
still went to the old address (and quite a few to totally spurious e-mail
addresses!). So any rule or other change can be expected to take several
years to be widely understood and used.

73 Don G3XTT
IOTA Contest Manager