[UK-CONTEST] IOTA contest 2003 GM3PPG/P SOHPABU24SSB-Dxped - claimed score

Richard mail at discovery15.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 07:11:14 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

Interesting reading the exploits of other groups esp. GM4V who was just up the road ! from me.

Call          :    GM3PPG/P
Location   :    South Uist, Outer Hebrides.  EU-010
Section    :    Single Op., high power, all band, unassisted, 24hrs, SSB, Island Dxpedition, phew...

                             10m       15m       20m       40m       80m         Total
Valid QSOs    :         46        244        436        316        237          1279
Multipliers       :        12          42          60          51         53            218
Points            :       306      1872       2340      2745      1863          9126

Total claimed score =   1,989,468 pts

Antennas   :       10/15/20m    :  sloping V beam, 20m long legs, (East/West), top at 60ft.
                         20m            :   2 el driven array on rocks by sea, 5/8 lambda vert. elements, two counterpoises on each.
                                               0.5 lambda spacing driven either inphase (beam NE/SW) or out of phase (NW/SE)
                         40m            :   4 square, 0.25 lambda wire elements, untuned radials
                         80m            :   4 square, 0.25 lambda tubing elements, untuned radials

Rig :                FT990,  Acom amp.

Started on 10m.   Slowish going as band only open to Eu but gd to get some mults. as had premonition band would not open on Sun...Later on some S. Am came through.  15m rather poor as well but again tried to maximise the no. of mults. Only a couple of JA.  May have been better to run on 20m ?  My plan to get 4 squares going on 20 and 15 for the contest ran into the old problem of lack of time so cut my losses and put up a 2el driven array just for 20m which was easier to get going (think this is better near the sea than a conventional horiz. Yagi as I havent't got a tall /P tower !, and instant direction change is a great feature).  A few N. and S. Am/Caribbean came through during the night on 20m but  basically it was down to 40 and 80.  The 80m 4 sq again worked fine but I have an unresolved problem with the 40m one (nested inside).  There seems to be a current imbalance between the elements beaming in one direction - even though I've tried de-tuning the 80m verts. and the other masts are some distance away.  Happened last year as well...  20 and 15m did not open for me on Sun am.,  so was on 40m for long periods.

Highs on the lf bands :  working EM1U (like M6T), VK and ZL on both 40 and 80, and all the UK/Eire/Eu stations who called-many thanks.
Lows :  maintaining drive (mine !) in middle of night (although tried Stewart,GM4AFF's, ideas about food and drink- seemed to work- tnx), only working Seamus (MM0CWJ) on the Monach Islands (EU-111) on one band before his genny sadly gave up,  high winds and rain in the preceding week stopping HF 4 square construction.  Not so much Caribbean activity this year.

As ever it was great to meet all the locals again who are so friendly.  I get many locals but also other holiday makers "calling in" curious about the temporary masts.  It's almost a full time (unpaid!) job explaining what it's all in aid of.....

Thanks to RSGB and HFCC again.  Roll on next year !

73
Richard (hon. sec. G3PPG)