[UK-CONTEST] RE: Telnet

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 15 07:50:49 EST 2003

I've certainly had much better experiences with O2 and managed to get on
OK with Writelog & GPRS at least in the test environment for GB5HQ - I
used Bluetooth to do the connection to the phone - not sure if that
solved issues with Writelog grabbing serial ports.

However - the big issue with GPRS is if you're in an area which is
reasonably well covered by more than one cell site (actually more than
one sector to be correct - most cell sites have 3 sectors - usually 120
degrees apart) then GPRS can flop between cells as one signals gets
dominant over another due to usual multipath fading effects at 900/1800.
This causes your throughput to fall through the floor since handover
between cells is not (almost) instant like it is for voice. Not a lot
that I'm aware that you can do about that except try moving the phone
about to stop it happening.

Andy, G4PIQ