[UK-CONTEST] Cabrillo - Duplicates

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 05:24:46 EST 2003

Chris Tran GM3WOJ wrote:

>Hello Neil et al
>
>From my understanding of Cabrillo, you cannot do the following
>things with a Cabrillo log-file :-
>1. mark a QSO as a 'Dupe'
>2. what points value is assigned to a QSO
>3. whether a QSO is a valid multiplier
>4. a 'zero points' QSO  (for whatever reason)
>
>However, you don't need to worry about any of the above -
>all these should be done by the software used during the log-checking
>- you have to assume that the writers of this log-checking software
>have covered every eventuality that could arise during their contest.

You also have to *assume* that General Rule 4(b) really means to say
that: "Duplicate contacts must be logged, with zero points claimed <if
the log is not submitted in Cabrillo format>."

It would ease the transition to Cabrillo if Rule 9(b) also contained a
few words of explanation, like:

"The preferred log format for contest entries is Cabrillo. All Cabrillo
entries will be completely re-scored, and duplicate contacts removed
with no penalty. It is not necessary for Cabrillo logs to claim points
for individual QSOs, multipliers etc, or to mark or delete duplicate
contacts (and therefore the Cabrillo format makes no provision to do
so). Contestants are encouraged to submit a total claimed score in the
CLAIMED-SCORE field, though this will not be used when re-scoring the
log. The specific Cabrillo template for each contest is defined on the
RSGB HFCC webpage www.rsgbhfcc.org   [etc etc]"

Note that the phrase about "the basic Cabrillo format" has been deleted,
because the HFCC Cabrillo page actually does give a specific log
template for each individual upcoming contest (a very good policy).

That page also links to an excellent short introduction to Cabrillo by
Don 'XTT.

That's only my personal guess at what it all really means. Official
clarification would be appreciated before 1400 on Sunday  :-)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK