[UK-CONTEST] AUTOBRAKE WINCHES

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Wed May 14 17:45:56 EDT 2003

Message text written by "GW4BLE"
>The winch for performing this task is a Fulton K2550 auto break, with 8mm
>rope. I just wonder if there are any precautions I should be aware of with
>this animal?

Hi Steve

Presumably you put the antennas up with the same winch. It is
strong enough for the job, that same winch is also used for the
80 and 100ft Versatowers.

The main problem with the winch if it has not been operated
for ten years is that the brake pads may have become stuck
hard to the input shaft (the one with the handle). Before starting
to luff the tower, just try turning the handle anticlockwise to see
if you can move it at all!

Check all the parts of the winch. All the gear teeth should have
been regularly greased, and the ratchet pawl and bushings
should have been regularly oiled. Make sure no oil or grease
gets on the brake pads. If the ratchet pawl looks rusted or
otherwise damaged, the autobrake is in danger of failing
while you are luffing the tower. You should keep hold of the
handle throughout the luffing operation, but if you suspect the
ratchet or other parts of the winch, it would be wise to replace it.
I can supply the K2550 at significantly less than the cost from
Strumech.

73, Dave G4BUO