[UK-CONTEST] AUTOBRAKE WINCHES

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Sun May 18 11:50:07 EDT 2003

Sorry to hear that Stewart.

I had a similar experience with my old TH6 some years ago up 60ft on a
standard unguyed P60. The wind was getting up, so I decided to lower the
tower. As soon as I wound to lift the second section off the latching arm...
"twang - - bang". No damage (the tower had only risen about 1/4 inch off the
latch) but equally no hope of getting it all down before the gale got going.
Fortunately the whole lot survived what was one of the "big blows" but I
think it was close.

This taught me two lessons:

a) Use stainless steel ropes (they are quite a bit more expensive, but last
proportionately longer. Elliot-Strumech only say 5 years for galvanised
rope, but 15+ for stainless.
b) Guy the tower so that you're not left with a TH6 unguyed at 60ft in a
gale !

Hope you can get the damage repaired.

73

Don, G3BJ