[UK-CONTEST] More Re Versatowers...

GW8IZR paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Sat May 24 13:42:51 EDT 2003

In message <001701c321fe$443464c0$fe18fea9 at p333>, GW4BLE
<GW4BLE at btinternet.com> writes
>Have been away for a few days, so missed the thread somewhat on this...
>
>A question though, has anyone replaced a rope in-situ (i.e. *not* taking all
>the sections), I am informed that it *should* be possible to remove the
>double-eyed inner rope by cutting off one end, tie the new rope to it and
>pull it through.

Yes, I've done it a few times, but it's a pain in the ass!

>Easier said then done ?

Much, but it is indeed possible.

First off, don't try to do this without luffing the tower, whilst most
of us take chances climbing versatowers at some stage in our lives...
there is sound advice in the manual, don't do it.

I don't bother to cut the end off, just tape the two bits together then
armed with spanners to remove pulleys off we go.

Be careful to thread them exactly as before, diagrams are here if you
need them.

It also helps if your sections are different colours, as the threading
is a lot more obvious, depending how old the galvanising is a swift
spray of grey automotive stone chip helps tidy things up a bit.

HTH

Regards

--
 73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI